Monday, August 27, 2007

Financial Freedom

I am calling all my past medical bills to see what are still outstanding. This is one of our first steps toward financial freedom. I don't know why I let it get so out of control, but I did. I came clean to my husband this weekend and now he is aware of the amount of credit card debt we have and we're both determined to put in the work and get out of debt. There are a lot of situations we are looking at. One of which is for me to go back and live with my parents so I can work full time without paying for daycare. Then he will work overtime and get a second job as well. It was so hard to come clean to him, but once again I underestimated him. His reaction was not horrible like I thought it would be (of course, I regret waiting so long b/c had I come clean before we would not be so bad). He was upset because I kept things from him. He said he's not mad at our situation just that I hid it from him for so long because had he known (of course) it would not have gotten to the point it is. Now we have serious decisions to make. This week I'm gathering all the medical bills to get a clearer picture of it. Seriously, I don't open the bills when they come in anymore. As if that would make them go away. Perverse thinking but that is what I did. So now I have to figure out exactly what is going on. Then we have to see how much money we NEED to make in order to start paying off everything. I got Dave Ramesey's book and after skimming thru it feel that his approach is the one we're going to take. We're pissed and we're going to tackle it. We're going to list our debt from smallest to largest and start paying it off that way. Little by little. We'll make it thru this. And you know what? I dont' think we'll ever be in this position again. Just because one, I won't have all the responsibility anymore and two, we're going to start by having weekly financial meetings so we both know at all times the whole picture.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

It sounds like you have a plan in place. I hope everything works out for you. I hate dealing with money issues, but it's a necessary evil. (((HUGS)))